Friday, November 12, 2010

The Skirt

In the world of dresses, there are skirts... and then there are skirts.

This gown has one helluva skirt!!

It's not complicated really. It's eight gores with ruching at the top several inches. While the bodice is ruched in four places (front and back centers and both sides) the skirt is ruched at every seam, giving a swag effect.

It's simplicity makes it elegant. The elegant swags pick up the lustre and body of the shot dupioni. I know when walking in it, the movement will make it dance under the light.


I quickly pulled up the ruching and before fastening off at the top, the gathering needs to be lengthened a bit. They are a bit too tight and poofy in the pic and need to be elongated to swag. But that's just a little minor adjustment.

Next up is cutting and sewing the skirt lining from the silk crepe. I'm going to try to make headway on that this evening so that it can be sewn together tomorrow.

Finally, these are the shoes that I'll be wearing the gown! I found them earlier this year when I decided on the fabric and pattern and instantly KNEW they were perfect. They are Ellen Tracy strappy heels encrusted with coppery glitter. They'll peep out from beneath the skirt giving off a flash and sparkle!!!

4 comments:

Karen said...

Oh, I'm so happy I found your blog! Love the shoes, Wow. I'm your newest follower and will add you to my blog list so I can see your latest postings. Great photos, great topics.

Debi said...

oh wow! It looks so lovely! I adore the color as well! It's going to be an amazing dress!

Sassy Lassies Vintage Life said...

I have been waiting ALL summer and fall for this dress to be talked about. Thanks for coming back to the blogging world. I CAN"T wait to see the finished product.

When Ladies Dressed said...

Thank you all SO MUCH! This pattern is phenomenal and I'm so jazzed about it as it's progressing. I should have more pics/progress to post later tonight!