Sunday, April 4, 2010

Apron Finished.. and Auctions! - Picture Heavy!

OK, I lied. I got some sewing in sooner than I was expecting. This was most likely motivation as a direct result of an auction that we attended yesterday. We picked up some stuff...

...define "stuff" you ask? Well, I'm both excited and embarrassed at the same time. I'll explain, but first things first:

The Apron!

It's OK. Just don't look at it closely and it's OK. It's one of those projects that started off enthusiastically enough, but as it progressed, it lost it's luster. I think it's largely due to the fabric. It's cheapo stuff. The one with the irons/butterflies/hearts/etc. is likely a cheap poly/cotton blend from the 70's. It's loosely woven and stiff which makes for unattractive stitching (that's my story and I'm sticking to it.) The solid poly/cotton weaver's cloth isn't much better although it is marginally "softer", but don't confuse it soft. Both fabrics are stiff.

Because of the poly content, the fabrics didn't press nicely. This made the narrow hemming a chore (which I normally enjoy... if you already don't like this step, forget it!) The pressing popped out in several places at first so I had to redo it and pin closer together... grrrrrr.

Then I used a maroon trim that I had in my stash. It's flat, not ruffled as the pattern indicated. Because I had said hemming issue with pressing (see above), instead of picking out the hem I slapped trim onto the bottom edge... but still, some of the original stitching shows (remember, I said don't look closely!!!)

Another little bummer was when I thought I was being clever. Operative word: thought. I didn't like how the shoulder strap was sewn to the back side of the bib. So I thought I'd tuck the straps into the seam between the front bib and facing bib. I did this and woo hoo'd myself. Then I realized the reason the pattern called for sewing it on the back was because of the trim application!!! If sandwiched between the front and facing, as I did, the trim would go behind the straps. So I had to rip the straps out and sew to the back. This wasn't major, but that's what I get for thinking! grrrrrrr.

In the end, the result isn't so bad, just don't look closely!!! This will be our secret!! Nobody but my sewing allies will know!
So, onto the auction finds that spurred my motivation:

For a total of $10, these items were sold as a lot: a) Greist Buttonholer b) another Greist Buttonholer that says "Kenmore" c) Stitch Master d) Singer Deluxe Monogrammer e) Kenmore Monogrammer and Templates (the stitching foot is missing.)

Additionally, I got a Singer Sew Handy children's sewing machine, in the original box with instruction manual. The box is a bit beat up, but nonetheless, it's the box! Also, the spool spindle and seam guide are missing, but these are easily replaced. This was $22.

Next is an old Singer 66... I haven't figured out which model 66 but based on the serial number, it was released between 1953-1955. It's in rough shape, in a blonde wood cabinet (which gave me an idea to it's age anyway)... When plugged in, the motor ran and light turned on. The cabinet has the knee pedal as well as a foot pedal. However, the belt needs replacing and who knows what else. So why buy it??? Well, it came complete with foot accessories and fabulous "Singer Gripper - An extra hand for holding material". I've really wanted one of those for a while!!! Oh, and the machine, et al cost $5. No typo, $5...

I do want to try to get the machine running, but if I'm not successful, the $5 was worth it for the Gripper and additional feet.

And now here's the embarrassing part: there were three treadles and we came home with all three. I wasn't interested in them and had no intention on bidding. But when nobody wanted them, DH was like "What? $5? You can't even buy a beer in England for that! Get them!" So it's his fault. They are in various stages of: death, delapidation, deterioation and disrepair. And that's being kind. Neverthless, each one was $5 and I felt that they need a chance at rehab and life so we'll give it a go at repairing them. I'll get pics of these soon.

We also got other non-sewing items: about a dozen Wheaton bottles (I had some as a kid), Two boxes of Berry Pink solid color marbles, shoe lasts (in eight sizes) with three stand (this was DH's purchase) and two very large bags of costume jewerly, much of it vintage. Oh, and a Sears catalog from 1975 (that was DH too).

I also bought two pairs of 1950's cat eye glasses! I'm going to get at least one filled with my own prescription! I've seen genuine frames sell for a lot of money and I got these for a total of $6.

So now with all of this vintage goodness, I can get on with my vintage sewing. This "old" stuff really does breathe "new" life into me!


sewcrazy said...

You got some great buys! I have to ask - what is a "Stitch Master"?

Thanks, Lori in MN

Jenni said...

Wow, what a wonderful collection of items from the auction. I love those cat eye glasses, sooo cool.
The apron is super cute and no one will ever be able to tell you had trouble with the straps.

Dede said...

I love all the things you got at the auctions! Especially the glasses! I love the apron you did. I am a beginning sewer, but I can tell that I would go crazy with those patterns if I knew how to sew. LOL. Thank you for your blog! It is a real inspiration to me. I found your blog being followed on my friend Trudy Callan's blog.

When Ladies Dressed said...

sewcrazy, a Stitch Master is flat metal guide that appears to have been used for things like blind hemming. The booklet that came with it is very fun with lots of household tips. Jenni and Dede, thanks so much! I'm glad you stopped to take a look Dede!