Sunday, May 25, 2008

Vintage Jewelry

Vintage jewelry and accessories are part of the territory when you love vintage clothing.


Ladies of the day certainly knew how to pull an ensemble together. Whenever I hit garage sales or the local Goodwill, I look for jewelry (amongst other things). On the list are pins, scarf clips, bracelets and in particular, clip on earrings.


I suppose I have an affinity for the earrings because when I was a girl, my grandmother had an old fabric jewelry box filled with costume jewelry. No doubt, it wasn't expensive stuff. It was mostly from the 50's and 60's, the kind of jewelry that dripped with beads, faux pearls and sequins. The majority of her collection was earrings.


Unfortunately, I don't know what ever became of her jewelry. It's likely that my grandfather gave it to charity, the Disabled American Vets, when clearing through her things some years after she died. At least it went to a good cause.


So when I buy vintage or vintage-like jewelry, it's no surprise that I go for the stuff that looks like the items from my grandmother's collection. Here are some of the things I've picked up along the way.


Have a happy and safe Memorial Day weekend; a heartfelt and respectful thanks to those who died in the line of duty. You will never be forgotten.








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What COOL jewelry!!!! I just inherited all of my great-grandma's vintage costume jewelry. Some of it is really COOL. I just LOVE vintage things.

Maggie said...

Hi, I "stumbled onto your blog" and I'll be back. I love vintage things too and am always on the lookout for a new blog to read!
Marguerite