Monday, March 29, 2010

It's Spring!

It actually feels like spring, too!

I've done done any sewing the last two weeks. It seems there's always something else going on. And I'm not one of those people who can sew a little here or a little there. I become completely consumed with a project and when I'm in the zone, I really dislike having to stop for anything.

At the moment, I'm not in any zone! DH is working on remodelling the basement. With spring, yardwork is beckoning. I have my mini greenhouse set up, waiting for me to start on the seeds for the veggie garden. Plus, the boys are smelling the end of the school year now. Spring break begins this Friday then it's the final stretch to the finish line.

So sewing has taken the back burner. I will eventually start a new project, but it may not be for a few weeks.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Red Wool Dress - Finished with Pics

OK, I'm a couple of days late... but better late than never!

It was a beautiful day today and my wonderful DH came home for lunch so that he could take pictures outside on the deck! If that doesn't say love, I don't know what does! In fact, he said "Hey, this dress is actually nice!"

Actually? Meaning the others aren't nice?... I'll let that one slide since he came home to be my fashion photographer. Besides, I take as husband-speak for he likes it!
*Black mesh shoes by Prevata.

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Red Wool Dress is Finished; Starting an Apron

I finished the red wool dress on Tuesday. I'm really pleased with it overall! I promise to get pictures of me wearing it this weekend, when DH is available to play photographer (Oh lucky DH - he doesn't know this yet!)

In the meantime, I started a quick, fun project: a new apron! My friend is having a tamale making party at her house on Saturday. I love tamales but have never made them.

So I thought I would make a new apron for the occasion, one that would be fun, festive and colorful.

Louise's stash never fails (from an auction last year). There was just one yard of 35" fabric with a fabulous, colorful pattern of butterflies, vases, irons, roosters and medallions on it. It's a stiff cotton, perhaps a blend. It washed up well... there isn't enough for the entire apron so I'm using a neutral "weaver's cloth" (a cotton/poly blend) that has been in my stash. It's a similar weave and similar color (ever so slightly "greener") to Louise's fabric. If anything, the hand is a bit softer. I also have a few embellishment ideas in mind to liven up the plain fabric as well as coordinate with the fun fabric.
I'm not really sure from when this vintage fabric dates: all guesses are welcome! It's 35" wide, stiff and maybe a blend (must do burn test... or ask my friends Michelle and Elaine!) If this fabric doesn't say "Apron!", I don't know what does.
I picked the apron pattern after deciding on the fabric...I have several apron patterns in my stash... It's a simplicity reissue from two different vintage patterns. I'm making the version with the yellow striped fabric.

In the meantime, stay tuned for the dress pics this weekend, as well as a summary of my adventures in tamale making!

Monday, March 8, 2010

Almost There

The dress is almost finished.

I got the zipper in. Funny how it went in perfectly the second time around! I also brought the side skirt seams in by 1/4", the part that I actually added when I cut the pieces. Finally, the bands on the dress were taken in by 1/2". I had to open up the side seam to do that...

That leaves the hem and the hook/eye then the dress will be finished. I have the jacket pieces cut, so when the dress is finished, I'll start on that.

I'm pretty pleased so far, despite all of the fiddling early on with the bands.
Inside sleeve. Catching stitching hem.
Inside skirt, front pleats. If you look closely, you can see the stitching lines.

Hanging for a day or so before hemming. Doris is happy to wear the dress until then!

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Progressing on the Red Wool Dress

I am moving along on the dress. Yesterday, I thought I might actually complete the dress today... however, it's not to be. After sewing the skirt and bodice together, I ran into three minor issues that need a re-do:

1) I inserted the zipper and it's out of whack. I have to rip and do over.
2) When cutting the skirt, I added a little extra at my usual "saddle bag" spot. The good news is, I lost weight (been working out since Jan.) The bad news, which is actually GOOD news, is that I don't need that extra any more! So I have to re-seam and take out the extra I added.
3) The front bodice bands are too long/loose. I have to open up the bodice side seams and reposition the bands.

None of these things are major. Just par for the course fitting, etc. so I'm not bothered.

In fact, I'm stunned at how this dress fits. It's amazing how a bit of a weight loss really changes things. This pattern is 32B - 26W - 35H... The waist and hip required NO alterations. For the bodice, I had to take out an extra 1" at the center back seam where it was big and gaping (a typical alteration for me).

When I tried it on yesterday, DH said it's a really nice dress and likes the red wool a lot. I can't wait to get this finished; I'll post pics later today!