Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Knit Wit

My sewing room is semi-finished: The main area is basically ready. The extra area looks like a disaster zone. But it was good enough for me to get in there and fire up the machine.


Two days before the packers came, I prepped and cut a pattern. One of my goals this year was to try knits. Apart from the anti-fabric Catwoman costume and some knit velour for a costume, I've never worked with knit... Also, I've only ever made two garments that weren't a costume or vintage (pajamas for my son and a shirt for my husband).


So in a recent pattern sale, I picked up Vogue 8489 to use with some knit I picked up on sale at JoAnn's on clearance. I'm not a pink person, but I liked the muted tones, batik background and brown paisley pattern. The design looks like it can a large print.




I'm hoping this project will get my sewing mojo going. Since knits are new to me, this pattern hopefully won't be too complex. There are two reviews on PR and both are favorable. I've progressed a bit today and the only problem I had was that the bottom layer of fabric got swallowed in the feed dogs on a few occasions when starting off... I'm using a three step zig-zag set rather narrow. The seams so far look nice.







This project will probably be one of those that either turns out really, really well or will look positively hideous. It just doesn't seem have "OK" written on it! We'll see what tomorrow brings!









6 comments:

2BSewing: said...

I love your new sewing room...it's bright and cheery and very spacious. Can't wait to see your new knit dress. :)

Sarah said...

Oh how AWESOME to have a room (and a bit!) completely dedicated to your craft! When I tried to quilt the bits got all over the dining room and the living room and the office. I was finding fibers everywhere for months! This room looks like its really going to be fantastic for you. Good luck with the Knit Dress too! The fabric looks really neat and the pattern does too. Hope they go well together! Congrats on the new house and hope the settling in is fast and smooth!

bbitce said...

Wow...You work fast! Everything looks fabulous! I can't wait to see the dress when it's done...

Bunny said...

Already in your sewing room after just having moved! I'm impressed! Your space looks so bright and welcoming. I know you will spend much productive, happy time there.

Roxanne said...

Your sewing room looks great! So roomy and inviting. Mine is a tiny area, but it works!

What kind of lighting do you have? Is it a bulb in the middle or something more substantial?

Roxanne

Roxanne said...

I forgot to add...

Of COURSE you unpack the sewing room first when you move LOL!

That's always my first priority. Well, that and the kitchen. One must keep up one's strength to get the projects done.

Roxanne